One day Michael Heisley won't be the owner of the Grizzlies. I hope that when that day comes, the Grizzlies remain in Memphis and aren't so run into the ground that no one with enough talent is willing to build the franchise back up.
|God, he blew it.|
In the meantime, we are resigned to moments like Monday's Chris Vernon Show, when Heisley joined Vernon for a half hour discussion about Xavier Henry's contract negotiations, how to run an NBA franchise, and whether the Grizzlies' organization was filled with yes men.
If you want to know exactly what Heisley said, go to Vernon's blog and listen. You can also download it at Itunes under 'chrisvernonshow'. (It's also worth listening to Vernon's interview last Thursday with Coach Lionel Hollins. In the interview, Hollins sounds just like Heisley, on Opposite Day.)
My key takeways from the interview are below. Some of the statements are pure speculation on my part. (I did not check the facts!) If you find these bullets unbelievable, then listen to the entire interview, linked above, and decide for yourself:
- Chris Wallace is a yes man.
- Lionel Hollins is not a yes man.
- Hakim Warrick is not a yes man.
- Arn Tellum is not a yes man.
- Tony Barone is a yes man.
- Jerry West was not a yes man.
- Jerry West encouraged Heisley to draft Hasheem Thabeet.
- Xavier Henry did not attend Summer Camp.
- Heisley has not read the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Heisley pays other people to read the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Heisley had more influence on the Allen Iverson signing that other personnel moves.
- Heisley makes a lot of messes in his life.
- Heisley doesn't care how the other NBA owners conduct their business.
- Heisley isn't trying to please the press.
- Heisley thinks Chris Vernon is provocative.
- Heisley thinks Chris Vernon is a kid.
- Heisley enjoys Chris Vernon.
- Heisley enjoys provocative kids.