Sunday, June 21, 2009

Draft Week 2009

I've spent a lot of time over the past few weeks reading all the Grizzlies news I can find, and at this point, I wouldn't bet on any of the scenarios.


However, I do have a few concerns about the upcoming draft.

Concerns:
  1. Grizzlies won't get the player with the biggest chance of being a star.
  2. The Grizzlies are too enamored with their own players to improve the team.
  3. The Grizzlies won't do everything in their power to acquire Griffin.
The Grizzlies absolutely must do everything in their power to acquire Blake Griffin.

Now is not the time to fall in love with players that won fewer than 25 games for the 3rd straight year. (By the way, this also applies to when evaluating players other than Griffin.

I have already stated that I think acquiring Griffin is the best outcome of the draft, and from what I've read, it seems like most people agree. What's not agreed upon is whether Clippers would be willing to accept any offer and how aggressive the Grizzlies should be.

Let me be clear: I think the Grizzlies should put up an offer of at least 4 significant assets for the Clippers. Griffin is the closest thing to a sure bet, and one great player is leagues better than a collection of good players.

In the best case scenario, I would like the Grizzlies to trade Rudy Gay, the #2 pick, and a future first rounder for Griffen and whatever contract the Clippers want to shed.

However, I would be willing to consider any combination of all players on the roster with the possible exception of OJ Mayo. Last time I checked, I didn't see any of the Grizzlies dominating the league. We need to get a star player and will in the gaps later.

There's no question in my mind that the above deal is a good deal for the Grizzlies. The only question in my mind is "Is this is enough to suade the Clipper?"

No comments: